Harvested new potatoes


The potatoes were getting kind of ragged and they were taking up so much space. The first container, I cut down the plants (mistake) and dumped out the container into a garbage bag. The harvest was decent for new potatoes, but there were LOTS of little potatoes with potential! I shouldn't have cut the plants down, but then again I needed the space. The second container, I harvested a really nice group of little potatoes and then re-potted the plant. Some learnings: the potatoes I harvested had little white bumps on them. I learned that these are a result of the soil being too wet. I think that using straight potting soil is too compacted and wet for potatoes. Next year, I will mix potting soil with some mulch to create a lighter soil, and then be more judicious about my watering. 

June 20
Pruned dahlias
July 18
Garden Status