About a year ago, my relationship status with social media changed to "it's complicated" after noticing that the more that I used social media (Facebook and Instagram in particular), the worse I felt emotionally. Thus began the process of trying to extricate Facebook from my life. If you found your way here, you know what a difficult and frustrating process that can be.
Facebook has wormed its way into hundreds if not thousands of the apps and websites that we use on a daily basis including my personal favorite, Spotify. I've spent years creating playlists, collecting favorite songs, and discovering new artists. I love the app so much that I've been paying for a Premium membership ever since the option became available. But because I used Facebook to sign up, deleting my Facebook account would mean losing access to my Spotify account. Distraught over this prospect, I never deleted my Facebook account, and I've been dealing with unwanted messages from strangers, account security breaches, and vitriolic political posts ever since.
My struggle ended yesterday, and I can't believe how easy it was.
The easy way to disconnect Facebook from your Spotify account, even if you used Facebook to sign up and you're Premium and you don't want to lose any of your music:
1) Get off all of those unhelpful forums and do not take any of their advice.
2) IMMEDIATELY CONTACT SPOTIFY through their Customer Service contact portal.
3) Select Account
4) Select Facebook created account.
5) THIS IS IMPORTANT: Click on "Still Need Help" below the first link. THIS WILL TAKE YOU TO CHAT.
6) Start a chat and explain that you want to remove Facebook from your account but you created your account with Facebook and you are Premium.
7) The agent will help you seamlessly set up a new account that is associated with an email address and not Facebook (the email address I gave them was separate from my Facebook email address, but I'm not sure whether or not this is necessary). The agent will also seamlessly transfer all of your playlists and songs to your new account! Amazing! They also gave me a free month of Premium. Sweet!
I can't believe how easy and painless this was. The Spotify customer support agent was helpful and friendly and our entire chat took less than 5 minutes. I'm uncertain whether or not chat is available all of the time (or if there are particular hours) BUT I have some really good news. Even if chat is unavailable and you have to send them an email THEY WILL RESPOND QUICKLY. I accidentally sent an email note about wanting to remove Facebook before chatting and they sent me an email back on the same day.
Spotify: You are crushing it. Keep up the great work. I am in love with your product.
If you found this helpful let me know in the comments below.