Nightstand: January 13, 2018

What I'm reading, downloading, watching, or thinking about this week: 

The stack on my nightstand is shorter this week. Apparently the flu shot was only 10% effective this year and the other 90% walloped me good. Luckily, Mom is ALWAYS right, and her insistence that I go straight to the doctor (do not pass go, do not collect $200) is the reason my misery was short-lived. As someone who rarely gets sick, I am reminded to be ever-grateful for my good health. 

  • Meditation Oasis app with Mary Maddux

Not sure if this app is still available individually - I think the app is just a player for her podcast, but I've been meditating to Mary Maddux's guided meditations for years. I love her voice (which I cannot say about any other meditation app on the market today). Her meditations are thematic, and you can pick what fits the moment. Love me some Mary... 

  • Morning Pages

Morning Pages is a concept from the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. Per Cameron: "Morning Pages are three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning. *There is no wrong way to do Morning Pages*– they are not high art. They are not even “writing.” They are about anything and everything that crosses your mind– and they are for your eyes only. Morning Pages provoke, clarify, comfort, cajole, prioritize and synchronize the day at hand. Do not over-think Morning Pages: just put three pages of anything on the page...and then do three more pages tomorrow."

After doing them consistently for a while now, I'm fascinated to see where I land by the end of the third page - certainly not where I expected to when I first put pen to paper.